Bishop Philip's Charge to Synod 2019Family of God, Followers of Christ
On Friday night, in the All Hallow's Chapel of Southwell School, Bishop Philip shared his vision with Synod members and special guests.
We were delighted to welcome Bishop Ngarahu, Archbishop Sir David Moxon, Mayor Andrew King, MP David Bennett, MP Tim Macindoe, Rev Ron Mills, and the principal of Waikato Diocesan School for Girls, Mary Curran. We gathered as the family of God in prayer to recognise the challenges we have faced and overcome, and to look to a new, hope-filled future.
Bishop Ngarahu welcomed on behalf of Tainui while our Cathedral Kaumatua and Canon, Pine Campbell, was given the responsibility of speaking on behalf of the Bishop of Waikato and Taranaki. After this the Dean of Waikato Cathedral called us into a Eucharistic Service celebrated by the Ven Joyce Marcon.
Bishop Philip recorded his Charge in full and it is now available on our Youtube channel. Please share this widely so that the whole Diocese can engage with Bishop Philip's vision that as the Family of God and Followers of Christ we are marked by gratitude, growing disciples, and transforming communities.
This set the tone for a weekend that offered wonderful hospitality, a strong sense of collegiality, an update to the Road Map, and robust debate.
While the minutes will tell the whole story here are a few highlights and acknowledgements:
- Canon Dr Bryan Bang and his many years of faithful service to the Diocese (with thanks for his ongoing commitment to Statutes Revision)
- Ven Wendy Scott welcomed as Dean-elect of Waikato Cathedral
- Rev Rosie Dell celebrated as new Vicar of Te Kauwhata
- Several first speeches from new representatives at Synod
- A very gracious Ven Terry Ellis :-)
- Grace-filled and contemporary worship lead by the Synod Chaplain (Rev Dan J Lander) -"10"
- Music from Rev Paul Bower's Mason and Rev Joel Rowse
- Some superb sessional management by Megan Symes and Rev Joel Rowse
- A spirit of care and sensitivity exercised by all in debates concerning end of life care and abortion.
Grace, peace and thanks to all who made this Synod so significant and successful.
Story Published: 29th of September - 2019